Thursday, November 28, 2013

Tricks to having a Champagne Wardrobe on a Lemonade Budget...Fashion for the Broke Girl..

Ah the story of my life really! But there comes a time when one must accept the harsh reality of living within a budget. Having been through college I know all about budgeting. I know that if I spend all my money in Topshop on monday, and if I'm going out three nights that week that I can survive on about €30 as long as I have a loaf of bread, a packet of eggs, a carton of milk and box of corn flakes. Ah college life. I miss it. But now I am in the big bad world and I need to be a bit more realistic, so, through many mediums such as internet, books, magazines, I have learned how to make the most out of your wardrobe. In order to create lots of outfits out of basic items you need a few things to build the foundation for your wardrobe, most women own the majority of these things:

The Leather Jacket:
It goes with EVERYTHING, punk, pretty, girlie, goth, boyish, you name it. Buy one that is relatively simple in design because that way it will never date.

 

The White Shirt:
This is an age old rule. A white shirt will create so many outfits. Workwear with tailored black pants,
buttoned up to the top and pop a jumper over with jeans for preppy chic, under a tube dress to make it more modern, or with anything leather to give it more edge. A white shirt is my go-to when I dont know what to wear. Don't have any money to buy a new outfit? Pop the shirt in the washing machine with LOTS of Daz or whitening agent, pair it with a pair of jeans and stilettos, loads of jewllery, and there you have it-classic chic.Pop the collar to chanel Ms. Hepburn and to crank up the Haute Couture...




The Black Blazer:

If you're not a leather jacket type of person then a blazer will do the job of transforming your outfits to any occasion. Worn over the shoulders in a cape style over an evening gown, with a hoody or jumper under worn with jeans for a casual look, or with a glitzy top sky high shoes and skinnies for a night out. Penney's have a great selction of black blazers that won't break the bank!



The Humble Tshirt:

In white/black/grey, I like mine in a v-neck, not too low; they are such a cheap and handy way to update an old outfit in your wardrobe! They go with EVERYTHING. The key is to stick to cotton tees with simple or no design and then add to it with statement jewellery. And it's also something that will not leave you on a diet of tea and toast until pay day.



High Black Shoes:

This is something which yes may be a bit boring but I prefer to call them 'classic'. Black is the best colour to wear if you want to look chic and stylish with minimal effort. Think of Victoria Beckham on most occasions, or the majority of French women, they always wear black and they ALWAYS look stylish and rich. This is the moral of the story people, to trick people in to thinking we have very expensive clothes. Pairing black high court shoes with any outfit will instantly give your look a more polished and chic look, just keep the design simple and don't go over the top with heel height!




The Little Black Dress:

A timeless classic, but every women should have one if not more LBD's in their closet. I have a few in different lengths and styles and they are always the perfect thing to make me feel good, especially on days when I don't have a new outfit for going out. Whether its the very little black dress, or the little mid-length black dress, find it in your wardrobe, even if it's years old, add black shoes, 'bed hair' a lot of top eyeliner and red lips and the dress will look brand new again!

 

I know I have covered all of the wardrobe basics but that is my top picks which most women will definately already own. It's an age old dilema for women worldwide, closet full of clothes but nothing to wear...Now that we've covered the closet basics,

Here's a few tips on using your wardrobe to it's full potential:

Have a clear out, if it doesn't fit don't keep it, I used to keep things promising myself I would fit in to them one day, but you know what it's silly, it's just a painful reminder that it doesn't fit and you need to have a closet full of clothes that will make you feel AMAZING!

Once cleared ou, you'll be able to see what you have. If you have a free couple of hours take pieces out and try them on. Things you haven't worn in ages, try them out with things you wouldn't normally and you might suprise yourself that they actually really work together!

Mix textures, patterns, and prints. Christmas is the only time of year youll get away with wearing that mad sequin dress with a wooly jumper going for a coffee in town so make the most of it!

Adding jewels to any outfit will instantly update it. Don't have anything new to wear out? Why do you need to? You should get lots of wear out of your gorgeous clothes and mix them around with different things instead of buying new clothes all the time! This is something I am trying to stick to myself! Instead of buying a new top or dress buy a huge chain in Penneys or Swamp or any high street store and the main focus will be on your bling!

I think the biggest secret to looking stylish or fashionable, is without a doubt CONFIDENCE.
If you walk with confidence and comfort, and genuinely love what you are wearing, people won't even notice whether you paid €10 or €100 for that outfit they will just notice how confident you are, and how well you wear the clothes! You can pull off ANYTHING you just have to walk with your head held high, and smile back at the people giving you the funny looks! Sometimes I wave just to make them feel really awkward. Just stay true to your style, but don't be afraid to take risks once in a while, and have a good look in your closet before bankrupting yourself in town, you may suprise yourself by the gems you own!

Don't be afraid to comment with any questions or to let me know what you think! Do you have any tips of your own?  You can also mail me with any questions at alongcamepollly@gmail.com...! I hope you enjoyed this and I hope it has helped somewhat!

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Much love girls,

Elisha :) xo



1 comment: